Texas Silver-Haired Legislature (TSHL)
- How can I get more information about the TSHL for the area covered by the Area Agency on Aging of North Central Texas?
What is the Texas Silver-Haired Legislature (TSHL)?
The Texas Silver-Haired Legislature is a non-partisan, representative body of citizens 60+ years of age, elected by their peers. There are a total of 114 Texas Silver-Haired representatives. The Texas Silver-Haired Legislature (TSHL) was born when the 69th Texas Legislature adopted supportive legislation (S.C.R.37) in April 1985. The TSHL convenes in Austin in even-numbered years to consider and vote on proposed legislation that concerns the needs of older Texans. The objective of the TSHL is to serve the needs of both present and future older Texans.
What are the goals of the TSHL?
- To motivate older citizens to realize that legislative involvement is a primary responsibility of effective citizenship.
- To help older Texans know that if they are to become a viable political force, they must become informed and knowledgeable about the issues facing our community, state and nation.
- To develop a forum for older adults to discuss and debate issues concerning not only their own welfare, but that of others.
- To educate the Silver-Haired Legislators in their advocacy role in order that they may continue their involvement in legislative matters in their local community.
- To provide a legislative body in which the Silver-Haired Legislators will have the opportunity to introduce, discuss and pass resolutions dealing with major concerns of our state.
- To work for the passage in the regular Texas Legislature of those resolutions prioritized by the TSHL.
Who coordinates the TSHL elections in North Central Texas?
The Area Agency on Aging of North Central Texas, which is housed within the North Central Texas Council of Governments, coordinates the TSHL election process in the following counties: Collin, Denton, Ellis, Erath, Hood, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Navarro, Palo Pinto, Parker, Rockwall, Somervell, and Wise. Four Silver-Haired legislators are elected, each representing more than one county.
The elections in Dallas County are coordinated by the Area Agency on Aging of Dallas County (214-871-5065), and the elections in Tarrant County are coordinated by the Area Agency on Aging of Tarrant County ( 817-258-8081).
Who can be a candidate for the TSHL?
Any citizen who is 60 or over on January 1 of a TSHL election year, is a resident, and registered voter, of the district in which candidacy is sought.
North Central Texas Silver-Haired Legislators may represent a district or serve at-large.
District 1: Wise and Denton counties
District 2: Collin, Hunt, Kaufman, and Rockwall counties
District 3: Johnson, Ellis, Navarro and Somervell counties
District 4: Parker, Palo Pinto, Hood and Erath counties
Prospective candidates must obtain signatures from 25 registered voters who are at least 60 years of age and live in their district. A $5.00 filing fee is also required. Candidacy forms can be obtained by calling 1-800-272-3921, extension 7195.
Who can vote in TSHL elections?
Voters must be at least 60 years of age by the date of the election, be a registered voter, and reside in the same district as the candidate for whom they are voting.
Who are the current TSHL representatives for the North Central Texas area?
|District 1||Wise and Denton counties||Bert Simon|
|District 2||Collin, Hunt, Kaufman, and Rockwall counties||vacant|
|District 3||Erath, Hood, Palo Pinto, Parker and Somervell counties||Dan Roberts|
|District 4||Ellis, Johnson and Navarro Counties||vacant|
|At Large||Collin, Denton, Ellis, Erath, Hood, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Navarro, Palo Pinto, Parker, Rockwall, Somervell, and Wise Counties||Fred Burrell|
When is the next TSHL election?
TSHL elections are scheduled for April 2023. Should any vacancies remain after the election, interested persons may be appointed to fill those vacancies.
Does the TSHL have its own web site?
Yes. Click on the Texas Silver-Haired Legislature website.
How can I get more information about the TSHL for the area covered by the Area Agency on Aging of North Central Texas?
Doni Green, Director of Aging Programs
Phone: 817-695-9193 | Fax: 817-695-9274