Freight transportation is a key component in the DFW regional economy. The North Texas region is located at the crossroads of four major interstate highways: IH 20, IH 30, IH 35, and IH 45. Its key location in freight movements benefits from the United States- Mexico- Canada Agreement (USMCA). Additionally, the region is a national railroad crossroads, as well as a national and international air cargo hub, making the region a natural logistics hub. Trucks leaving the region can reach almost the entire country within 72 hours.
Freight is vital to the DFW regional economy as well as to the Texas economy. In 2022, the region accounted for 30 percent of Texas’ Gross Domestic Product. The DFW region represents one of the largest inland ports in the nation, where freight is moved, transferred, and distributed to destinations across the State and around the world. North Central Texas has one of the most extensive surface and air transportation networks in the world, providing extensive trade opportunities for the hundreds of motor/trucking carriers and freight forwarders operating in the DFW area.
- Critical Freight Corridors
- Freight Safety
- Freight North Texas
- General Freight Planning
- Rail Planning
- Regional Freight Advisory Committee
- Railroad Crossing Reliability Partnership Program
- Truck Lane Restrictions
- Truck Parking Study
- Truck Planning
Freight Program Goals
- Seek freight community participation in the planning process.
- Monitor freight traffic through the region to identify potential bottlenecks.
- Improve freight movement efficiency to, from, and within the region.
- Promote safety, mobility, and accessibility.
- Reduce the air quality impacts of freight movements.
- Seamlessly incorporate freight considerations in transportation projects.
- Develop and use a sustainable and reliable funding source for freight programs and projects.
- Develop a regional freight database.
- Improve railroad safety and reliability.
Critical Freight Corridors
Critical Freight CorridorsLearn More
Freight SafetyLearn More
General Freight Planning
General Freight PlanningLearn More
Rail PlanningLearn More
Railroad Crossing Reliability Partnership Program
Railroad Crossing Reliability Partnership ProgramLearn More
Freight North Texas
Freight North TexasLearn More
Regional Railroad Crossing Banking Program
Regional Railroad Crossing Banking ProgramLearn More
Truck Lane Restrictions
Truck Lane RestrictionsLearn More
Truck PlanningLearn More