SmartWay® is a voluntary, public-private program by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) that helps the freight industry reduce fleet emissions, improve fuel economy, and increase energy efficiency. The SmartWay Program includes four major elements:
- SmartWay Transport Partnership
- SmartWay Verified Technology
- SmartWay Green Vehicles
- SmartWay Global Collaboration
The North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) joined the SmartWay Transport Program as an Affiliate in October 2006. In this role, NCTCOG promotes SmartWay initiatives within the region by providing educational outreach to potential partners and affected industries.
NCTCOG encourages local freight fleets to join the program and improve environmental performance while enjoying the many benefits partners and companies receive.
Did You Know?
- The SmartWay Transport Partnership Affiliate Program, in conjunction with the American Trucking Association, once again recognizes the more than 3.6 million professional truck drivers who deliver the essential goods and resources to customers across the United States.
- More than 80% of communities throughout the United State rely exclusively on truck transport for freight transportation services -- including the delivery of such products as food, clothing, medications, household products, construction materials and heavy-duty equipment.
For for more information from American Trucking Associations on National Truck Driver Appreciation Week (September 10-16, 2023), visit this American Trucking Associations webpage.
Companies with a presence in North Texas honored with the SmartWay Excellence Award
- ABF Freight, an ArcBest Company
- Contract Freighters, Inc. d/b/a CFI
- Fujitsu Computer Products of America, Inc.
- Georgia-Pacific Consumer Products LP
- Heartland Express, Inc. of Iowa
- Hub Group
- J.B. Hunt Transport Inc.
- Kimberly-Clark Corporation
- Knight Transportation, Inc.
- McDonald’s USA, LLC
- National Carriers, Inc.
- Old Dominion Freight Line, Inc.
- Penske Logistics LLC
- Roehl Transport, Inc.
- Ruan Transportation Management Systems, Inc.
- Swift Transportation Co. of Arizona, LLC
- The Home Depot U.S.A., Inc.
- TransAm Trucking Inc.
- U.S. Xpress Enterprises, Inc.
- Walmart Transportation, LLC
- Werner Enterprises
- Whirlpool Corporation
- Wilson Logistics, Inc.
SMARTE- Saving Money and Reducing Truck Emissions Program
NCTCOG received funding from EPA to conduct comprehensive outreach, education, and financial assistance to the trucking industry regarding programs, technologies, and operational practices which reduce emissions and increase efficiency of freight operations. A major focus of this effort will be promotion of EPA-verified SmartWay technologies.
SmartWay for Shippers: You’re in Good Company
Learn how retailers, manufacturers, and other Fortune 500 companies participate in the EPA’s SmartWay Program as a way to assess and strengthen the sustainability of goods movement in their supply chains. For more information about participating in EPA’s SmartWay program, go to http://epa.gov/smartway or http://epa.gov/smartway/join
SmartWay Upgrade Kit Demonstration Project
NCTCOG conducted an in-use demonstration project to evaluate the impact of SmartWay technologies in increasing fuel economy and reducing emissions among Class 8 heavy-duty trucks.
Overall, the results of the demonstration project support the finding that the use of SmartWay technologies, particularly when used as a kit, is an effective tool for improving fuel economy and reducing emissions among Class 8 heavy-duty trucks.
Final Report: Study and Analysis of Fuel Consumption and Emissions Reductions for Heavy-Duty Diesel Trucks
Staff Contacts: Jason Brown & Trey Pope